Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for legionary vs auxiliary helmet patterns
I save all sorts of brass and copper. Like the nibs cut from the ends of rivets, filings from fitting things together, scraps of brass left from whatever, or found pieces of plumbing valves, etc. One of these days, I'll get my building built, and a setup made for an oven to melt metals. I'll be able to make use of this stuff then. So far, I'm just mixing the copper and brass, hoping to make a reddish brass that will simulate bronze in appearance. For little things like knife parts, scabbard plates, rivet rosettes, rivets themselves, this should be fine, though the color will likely not be easily repeatable. First step will be to make little ingots of similar size, then remelt those to make cast objects.

So they did sort of the same thing, but probably more specifically and correctly. Heck, they probably KNEW what they were doing. I'm learning by burning my fingers so far. *(Hmmm. There's the crucible of molten copper. Wonder what will happen if I pour this water in there to cool it off?)* Confusedhock:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Evidence for legionary vs auxiliary helmet patterns - by M. Demetrius - 11-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who commanded a legionary or auxiliary cohort? LonginusXXI 2 3,187 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  A question about legionary helmet liuliuliu 2 1,286 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Last Post: liuliuliu
  Auxiliary Cavalry Helmet B 1 - Photoshopped Image Spurius Papirius Cursor 3 1,540 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar