Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for legionary vs auxiliary helmet patterns
Sorry David for my late response and I do not mean to go OT. You have interpreted my suggestion correctly. I read a book that had the analysis of copper alloy metals from the Greek through the Roman period. From the Roman period, the metal alloys for statues, military gear or even everyday utensils, equipment etc .always seemed to have muliple components. For instance, most of the "brasses" were not only copper and zinc but contained lead, tin, iron etc. Some contained silver mixed in with the brasses. Having such a combination does seem to suggest some type of recycling or constant re-use of smelting pots to process molten metal.

As far as the money issue is concerned, I am not suggesting that they recycled military equipment made from copper alloys to mint coins. However, my suggestion was that brass or other similar alloys were valuable because of their "money status". For instance, suppose you were a legionary and wanted some room and board and you happen to have a brass belt plate that you found somewhere or even one of your own that you are willing to use to purchase services. A brass beltplate could have been used as currency since under Augustus brass (oro calco) was currency.

So I think that it is fair to say that vast amounts of equipment especially in the copper alloy realm was recycled for other things. Why is it that many iron helmets, when found, were devoid of their brass fittings. The so called Gallic H is one such helmet as is the so called Gallic C. Of course there are helmets that have retained their fittings.

Back to the topic.

Sorry Tim, I have no intention of hijacking the topic since you do raise a very valid point about the helmets.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Evidence for legionary vs auxiliary helmet patterns - by Doc - 11-25-2010, 04:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who commanded a legionary or auxiliary cohort? LonginusXXI 2 3,173 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  A question about legionary helmet liuliuliu 2 1,264 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Last Post: liuliuliu
  Auxiliary Cavalry Helmet B 1 - Photoshopped Image Spurius Papirius Cursor 3 1,527 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar