Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated?
I'm not an expert myself, but from what I've learned (here, mostly), the main thing is there was no shield "wall", more like a "dozer blade", i.e. pushing, not standing in place. When the enemy stops (and it would require good organisation and discipline to bring the rushing warriors to a stop), the Romans would not stand there and wait until the enemy finds a way to overcome them, they would push.
Also, the enemies Romans faced probably didn't have any "war axes" that could outreach the short swords. Certainly not something in the way of a five ft two-handed double-sided axes.

In the time gladii were in use and for the way they were used they must have been effective, otherwise they would be replaced by another sword. As things changed in the later centuries, the gladii were gradually phased out by spathae, serving the needs of that time better than gladii.

Others will surely have more to say in this matter. I hope I'm not making something up and if, someone please correct me.
Best wishes

Roman Vávra

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? - by morhathol - 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Sword Underrated? JeffF 43 9,896 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Semi Spatha/short sword Anonymous 19 7,441 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Shield boss and sword ansje 12 2,703 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte