Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated?
Quote:
Roman tactics were superb, but equipment-wise the weapon combination does have something to do with roman effectiveness, the fact that they had a decent sword to fall back on enabled them to utilize javelins in the first place, but it was the pilum that was their primary weapon and the one they relied on to spearhead their attack or hold off the enemy during a defense.
Eventually the pilum was replaced by smaller projectiles and the standard infantry spear, likely due to durability issues. However the sword still wasn't the Roman soldier's primary weapon.

It was the primary weapon. The javalin was used to blunt the enemy attack, before going in for the kill.
It could be used as a stabbing spear when required, but usually on special instruction. i.e. GJC at Pharsalus.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Sword Underrated? JeffF 43 9,893 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Semi Spatha/short sword Anonymous 19 7,441 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Shield boss and sword ansje 12 2,703 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte