Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated?
I have a fair bit of first hand experience on this particular issue. I fight in a competitive live steel combat group. I use a gladius and a flat oval shield. In the group I've had the opportunity to test the style against a long list of ancient and medieval combat styles in both single and group combat (with various compositions of troop types).

I have found this style of "sword and board" to be highly effective against all comers.

Fighting defensively:
D1. The large shield covers most of the body (3 inch face target from looking around the shield, and 4-12 inches of Tibia) and will keep you alive long enough to find and exploit a weakness with the VERY fast short sword.
D2. For some users the shield can even be held out parallel to the ground creating additional standoff distance.
D3. A shield wall so equipped and braced for a charge is impressive to watch.
D4. The meat shield concept for group combat: Heavy infantry protects, support kills (missile troops, artillery, cav, et cetera).
D5. I recommend the full defense when outnumbered tired, and possibly fighting alone or with limited support.

* Note on D4: In my experience WARRIORS from "champion" based cultures while in single honorable combat are highly dangerous but are no match in war when faced with SOLDIERS of lower individual skill. The reason is simple, soldiers will protect one another and help each other by pining enemy weapons while their partners take the kill. WARRIORS fight for their own glory not the success of the team. (**Based on local definitions not the US Army's)

Fighting Offensively:
O1. The best defense is a strong offense. Throw the shield up charge until you are standing on the toes of your enemy. Their long weapons are useless at this range and your kit is ideally suited.
O2. Standing on your opponent's toes will often make them panic. We have a psychological need to keep danger at arms reach. Being hugged by a man with a crazed look in his eye and a long knife makes sane men flee.
O3. Pole arms suck. You have two choices: Option 1 Trap the weapon on your shield and charge up the handle faster then the wielder can back pedal and then stab him repeatedly. Option 2, wait for him to trip you then stab you in the face from a long ways away.
O4. Fighting two handed weapons, punch block and stab. They can only attack or defend, you can do both at the same time.
O5. What I call the viper, the shield hides your fast little blade so they never know when or where its coming from. Deadly.

The cons:
1. Heavy-medium infantry requires make a life style of it. You have to be in shape and live in your armor.
2. A healthy in-shape troop can chase down light infantry. The problem is you have about 20 solid minutes of action time before they MUST be removed from the line to the rear to rest for about 30 minutes. Rotating the line frequently greatly reduces the rest needs and lengthens their action time. Leaving exhausted troops on the line puts the entire line at risk.
3. Although useful individually, professional heavy infantry needs to work in teams to be truly effective.
4. Shields require some degree of minor customization to effective to be effective for
5. Lefties either have to learn to fight right handed or operate on the left flank. Anachronistic I know, but imagine a century of lefties protecting your traditionally weak flank. They'd even have the advantage as you have to use different techniques when fighting LvsR then when you do RvsR or LvsL. The revelation is often deadly for less experienced swordsmen.
6. On a general note it goes without saying effective organized fighting units have to drill frequently and really can't just be levied.

~Kyle

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? - by Lupercus - 12-02-2010, 11:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Sword Underrated? JeffF 43 9,899 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Semi Spatha/short sword Anonymous 19 7,442 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Shield boss and sword ansje 12 2,703 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte