Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated?
Quote:@Lupercus
Hi, I haven't been fortunate enough to do a lot of reenactment combat myself (although it looks like a lot of fun) so I have a couple of questions
1. In your opinion, is there any significant advantage to having a short sword instead of a longer sword with a similar shield?
2. Have you had much experience against opponents using spears, either two handed or with a shield?
3. About how heavy is the shield you use?

Greetings!
1. There really are two aspects to this.
A. Used with a tower shield the spatha or later cruciform longsword can be very effective. You gain the advantage of reach but the added 8 to 12 inches makes the weapon difficult wield when fighting in close quarters when your shield is hugging that of your opponent. The added length gives you some defensive options but makes the weapon easier to pin so one of your squad mates can go for the kill.
B. In earlier periods longer iron blades were more susceptible to damage than shorter ones, improvements in material quality and manufacturing techniques took care of these issues. I recall reading a Republican Legionary describing a Gaul trying to straighten his iron blade on a rock.

2. Against spears:
A. 2-Handed Long-spears (IE Pikes). I have experience fighting them Roman style and I teach Elizabethan Pike Drill in another group.
i. 1-on-1 the key is to get in past the spearhead so that you are out of the kill zone. Once there put your shield on the shaft and sprint till you are in range. If he's smart he'll abandon the pike once you are past the head and draw a close range weapon.
ii. In ranks the pike is most effective as a deterrent. Use archers here.
B. 2-Handers with shields (IE Phalanx). I find the shields work best with snug fore arm straps and either an exposed wrist or a notch in the shield to pivot the shaft on.
i. 1-on-1 the pike is usually discarded early in the fight and the sword drawn.
ii. In Ranks: Best strategy get them on rough ground, second best out maneuver them. Ultimately you will have to close the distance. Hunker down behind the shield and shove forward by files. If a file succeeds in getting close try to make gaps to the left and right rather than fight the file to your front.
C. 7' Spears wielded 2-handed can be used passably well in sword range if you "choke up" on the shaft and use it bayonet style, but this really is a last ditch move.
D. 5 to 6 foot thrusting spears with shields. The style is a bit unwieldy at first for a swordsman but you can get it down easily enough. The style is difficult with gauntlets but with heavy gloves or barehanded it is easy enough to wield the weapon. The style feels best suited for horsemen and fighting opponents with light armor. You can choke up close to the head for close quarters but your angles of approach are still limited to straight out and back. Fight them in the same manner as an opponent with a sword and board.
E. Guisarm/Bill/Hooked reach weapons. Most are medieval in origin so post period but they suck to try fighting. They have the reach to hook you, the leverage to pull you off balance and a spear point to impale you with. Use missile weapons or commit to a full charge.

3. It just weighed in at 16 pounds on my bathroom scale so give or take a pound or two. When I built it I put the center grip rotated slightly to the left to hold it more comfortably (a lefty has to use it upside down). I also added a hook shaped bar so I could rest the shield in the crook of my arm to help carry it when resting wile still being instantly ready. I find shield with the center grips parallel to the ground are ambidextrous but are also uncomfortable for me to fight with.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? - by Lupercus - 12-03-2010, 05:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Sword Underrated? JeffF 43 9,777 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Semi Spatha/short sword Anonymous 19 7,401 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Shield boss and sword ansje 12 2,694 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte