Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated?
If I had to guess about the chainmail I would say it was because it offered more coverage and durability for minimal loss in protection (as long as proper layers of thick cloth or leather were worn underneath). But that's a little off topic.

Metallurgical technology might have played a role in the abandonment of the gladius, it could be that until the second century longer swords were too expensive or difficult to mass produce.

Anyways, if I think about it the main question could probably be brought down to a hypothetical, let's say that on the one side is a Roman soldier armed with only a scutum and a gladius, on the other side we have the guy representing his opponent representing all the non-legionary infantry the legionary competed with (greeks, samnites, etruscans, guals, triarii etc.) armed with a 6 to 8 foot one-handed spear (assume it isn't thrown), a similar large shield, and a similar short sword. For all intents and purposes the armor and training are similar (which wouldn't have been too historically uncommon for Rome's enemies).

So, 1 on 1 or in a group who is going to win most often? Does the legionary need the pilum in order to get the upper hand, or is his opponent better off dumping the spear before the battle even begins?
Henry O.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? - by rrgg - 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Sword Underrated? JeffF 43 9,893 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Semi Spatha/short sword Anonymous 19 7,441 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Shield boss and sword ansje 12 2,703 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte