Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
Although I'm by no means a specialst in cavalry warfare, I think (also from the various cavalry discussions on this forum) that indeed, the horse was controlled mostly by knees and legs.
The same would be the case for horse archers.
I think in general, with a large shield, the lance was used with one hand (as would be the javelin), but with a smaller shield attached to the arm a lance could be used two-handed. Although I've seen a lance used in a couched manner (Parthian vs. Sassanis heavy cavalry), I think that the most common way of using the spear was either overarm or with two hands.

Heavy cavalry without shields would be covered in armour so that a shield would not be necessary. I a melee against shield-bearing cavalry that could be a disadvantage, but since I expect that shield-bearing lighter cavalry would therefore be more vulnerable, that might have been a lesser problem.

I dont know whether such very heavy cavalry would as a rule be 'protected' by light cavalry though.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Robert Vermaat - 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,671 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 30,164 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 37,997 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus