Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
Quote:Thank you gentlemen for this very nice and informative debate so far. Continue!

Thank you Sir, we do what we can. *Bows* :lol:

Quote: A question regarding horses charging at objects: of course a horse in its right mind would not do so, but I've heard time and again that horses can be trained to charge at formations. I believe Junkelmann trained his horses to do so, or else it's hearsay, can't remember. But if a horse is trained to charge at a formation which constantly opens to let it through, why would a horse not come to believe that this will happen every time?

That's a good point. Hmmm, I don't know about training but there were a few battles where that happened.

Quote: We had three horses present at LRE III, each in various stages of training (below). One would pass through our ranks without difficulty, the second did this best when following the first, but the third would almost all the time shy away, even when being lead on foot.
I could easily accapt that after a lot of training, each horse would happily charge a formation that would only open at the last minute. Then, in batle, it would charge an enemy formation, not realising that this would stab and fail to open.

Ideas?

Well that indicate to me that:

A. Horses are different and are herd animals.

B. Some won't have a problem with that, some will.

I could see horses charging home thinking the enemy line was going to open.
I think they'd be very surprised that the line didn't open when they ran into, but if they were armoured they would remember they didn't hurt.

And there's always the factor that only the horses in the front rank can see the enemy (even then they won't see much if their heads are armoured) the horses in the rear ranks won't see what's going on and thus won't be bothered as much.

And the horses in the rear rank will keep the charge4, you have several hundred 1,500 pound animals running at anywhere from 25-30 miles an hour. That charge isn't just gonna stop especially when they're at a gallop and the enemy's within fifty yards.
Ben.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Aulus Perrinius - 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,671 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 30,164 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 37,997 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus