Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fabric Questions...
Quote:Illustrations, yes. Historical research, no. The pictures I saw this from is in the book "Roman Army: Wars of the Empire" (The Brassey's History of Uniforms series) by Graham Sumner. Specifically, the re-enactor photos on pages 19, 27, Centurion on page 31, Imaginifer on page 39, 'Gladius-draw' photo page 47, fastener photo page 51, 62, 66, 67, possibly 70 (It's hard to spot...), 86, 99, and 139. Most of those photos I'm thinking are the Ermine Street Guard, and I'd hate to think that many professionals would be wrong.

Since those are all photos of reenactors, they do not count as historical evidence. Technically, most of them are not professional historians (well, they may indeed get paid for some performances, as I do myself, but they are not necessarily trained and accredited historians!), but even if they were, you'd be horrified to know how often and how badly such people can be wrong! Reenactors are extremely susceptible to "parrot syndrome", as I call it, copying baseless theories or downright errors repeatedly as accepted fact.

Quote:Also, the book mentioned the possibility that a good deal of the carvings of Romans had their hamata painted on afterwards for finer detail (See page 51, second paragraph); It seems entirely plausible that a carving (Such as on page 113, lower right picture) would also have a focale painted on, rather than someone trying to carve it in.

Correct, that is more baseless speculation. Well, I should say that we know some details were painted in, but we also see that in some cases there are details as small as brooches carefully carved in. If the detail was or may have been painted in, but is no longer visible, we can't use it as evidence, eh?

Quote:Concerning the paenula colour, I'm afraid it's one-part "But they're wearing madder-RED cloaks in the movies and television!"...

You probably already know the rule of thumb that EVERYthing in the movies is wrong! Plus, the red you are seeing is not madder red, which is more of an orangey tomato-red.

Quote:...and one-part reading too quickly on the Legion XX site: "There were two types of cloak in use, the sagum and the paenula. Both seem to have been some shade of brown or YELLOWISH-BROWN in color; apparently a particular type of wool was preferred..." I see that the person in the photo is wearing a shade slightly lighter than mine, but still brown.

I should update that page! It's not wrong, just not the whole story. Best thing is to get Graham Sumner's most recent book, "Roman Military Dress". From the evidence he has collected, yellow-brown is a typical color, but not the only one available.

Quote:GUH! I guess I'll have to hit up the suppliers and Jo-Ann's then, and see what sort of linen I can find. You say there are multiple weights, but is there an 'average' weight that works well for tunics?

Nah, not really. If you plan to wear it alone, not just under a wool tunic, just make sure it isn't too see-through! Less of a problem with red, but like I say, you won't find madder-red linen anywhere. (But if you do, let us all know, please!!) Heavier linen will be more durable, generally. And even if it seems kind of stiff at first, a good thrashing in the washer and dryer before you make the tunic will soften it up nicely.

Vale,

Matthew

PS: Your green italic print is a little hard to read with my aging eyes! Any chance you can change to regular straight black? Tanx!
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by M. Demetrius - 02-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Athena Areias - 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Cheyenne - 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Magnus - 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Graham Sumner - 02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Cheyenne - 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by M.VELIVS.AVITVS - 03-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 03-17-2011, 01:53 AM