Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii - Experiments in Soft Kit
I too have wanted to go and take pictures of myself in full kit BUT my uncle who lives in Rome mentioned the possibility of having some confrontation with the "plastic romans".

On the other hand, you could take pictures on the Palatine by carrying your kit there in a suitcase and getting dressed on the premesis. It may be a little incovenient but it could be done. This way, there should be no conflict since to my recollection, I have not seen any of these "plastic Romans" on the Palatine and I have been there several times.

Generally, to avoid any conflict anywhere you could do the noble thing and tell people that you will not take photos with them and explain that you are a tourist just as they are and it would be wrong to take away from the "Plastic Romans" their living. I am quite sure that people would be understanding. As a matter of fact, this is precisely what my uncle also mentioned to me. He also said that if someone in their kit wants to take pictures where those "plastic Romans" are, it would be good to ask them permission for a few minutes just to be polite. If they say no, then walk away, otherwise take a few quick shots and be gone.

I think that dressing in civilian clothes in Pompeii is a good idea and more realistic. I do not see any problem at all even if there is crowding. It could be difficult to take pictures because there are too many people walking about. Then again, you could go to open areas where the crowds are sparse and take a picture. You could crop the tourists out of your pictures at a later time.

Writing and asking for permission is also viable so at least you can get some feedback as to what the situation is. Please let us know what the response is as well.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Pompeii - Experiments in Soft Kit - by Mithras - 02-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Re: Pompeii - Experiments in Soft Kit - by Doc - 02-14-2011, 02:03 AM
Re: Pompeii - Experiments in Soft Kit - by MDF - 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just a few experiments Augustus Janus 5 1,348 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Experiments on Reconstructed Armour? sulla felix 4 1,588 02-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  hard experiments, anyone? Goffredo 11 2,129 02-18-2006, 03:05 PM