Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Quote:It has been said that the last evidence of the Ninth comes from tiles dated to 108 AD at Eboracum, but how about the other stamped tiles of the Ninth in Carlisle that were found on another frontier line known as the 255 degree line discovered by the late Raymond Selkirk.

Tile stamps are seldom intrinsically dateable - looks like those have been dated by association with the AD 107/8 York building inscription presumed to come from the fortress' new stone porta principalis dextra (RIB 665).

As for what Miles Russell did or did not say, I'm afraid my innate scepticism about the media makes me doubt that any of the things he is supposed to have said are a verbatim account; I have seen too many friends and colleagues' words mangled by the press.

Can't find Carlisle on that 255 line in my copy of RS's book, but those Ninth tiles probably originate at Scalesceugh, where the legion seems to have had a tilery.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by mcbishop - 03-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM