Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Hi Nathan
Good to hear from you - God, I'd hate to be thought of as part of some 'Goveite conspiracy', especially as self same government department seems to be trying to destroy the British University system (and arts / humanities programmes in particular)! I agree with your sentiments and wish that governments (and the previous administration was just as guilty) would stop tinkering with subjects like history, especially when they try to make it fit some pseudo-nationalist agenda. I was always annoyed that 'History' as a subject at schools seemed to start with the Tudors, very little, if any, consideration being given to earlier times or indeed of parts of the UK outside of England (or at least the Home Counties). I'm also afraid that, as an archaeologist, I always try to put archaeological evidence first (then see if the historic framework fits - rather than looking at the history and seeing whether any archaeological finds can be made to 'flesh it out'), but then I suppose that's partially because I disliked history at School (as it was mostly about 19th century poor law reform).

I think I've probably strayed massively off topic....

Anyhow, just to say that I think that inspiring stories have their place, but certainly not at the expense of themes and the solid analysis of evidence.

Now, where were we.....?

M

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Miles Russell - 03-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM