Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius balance
Avete!<br>
It would be nice to see more detailed research on original blades to determine their thicknesses and see how they weighed and balanced when new. A lot will depend on the distal taper, i.e., how much thinner the metal is at the point than at the hilt. Albion's blades all have about a 50 percent distal taper, and their sword gurus have examined at least one original blade which apparently had that kind of taper. But from the few cross-sections I've seen, very few other blades had much taper at all--and at least one actually got thicker just at the point! (Does Feugere shed any light on this in his new book?)<br>
<br>
With a Pompeii gladius, I'm not sure good balance is all that crucial. The blade just isn't big enough to be too heavy or clunky (bearing in mind that many of our repros today are wider than most originals). In a hand that trained daily with a double-weight practice sword, the "bad balance" of a stabbing sword wouldn't make any difference.<br>
<br>
With the Mainz and especially the hispaniensis, however, I agree that they are made for cutting as well as thrusting. Polybius tells how shocked the Macedonians were upon being literally chopped to pieces by Roman swords. One good article on a group of surviving hispaniensis blades in vol. 8 of JRMES shows cross-sections and gives thicknesses, and even allowing for a size increase due to corrosion, these blades really look like "sharpened crow bars"! My own hispaniensis repro is a bit more elegant, but not balanced like a good medieval sword. It would work just fine, however, and if I were in decent physical shape I would have no trouble thrusting with it. And when you pick it up, you REALLY want to swing it at something!<br>
<br>
As with many other things, it looks like the Romans were not concerned with optimizing balance according to our standards. What they had worked just fine, for them.<br>
<br>
And Magnus, you should KNOW that swords are not made for going THROUGH armor! Tsk, tsk! Never bother striking at your opponent's armor, your chances of penetrating it are just too small to make it worth the effort (and risk). Go for the soft parts instead.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Gladius balance - by Anonymous - 01-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Re: Gladius balance - by mcbishop - 01-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Re: Gladius balance - by Anonymous - 01-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Armour piercing? - by Anonymous - 01-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Gladius- hacking or thrusting? - by Anonymous - 01-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Balance or not - by Matthew Amt - 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Re: Balance or not - by Gashford - 01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Re: balance is in the eye of the beholder? - by Anonymous - 01-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum balance point Spartacus13 7 2,051 12-16-2014, 03:48 AM
Last Post: richsc
  Gladius Weight and Balance Anonymous 3 1,821 02-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes