Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel in the Later Roman Empire
Hi Tom,

I'd say that in general, your assumptions are correct.

Of course, 'no security guarantee' would not be typical just for the Later Roman period, but it would become more of a problem. I'd say that the economic recession of the 5th century would partly be due to a downturn in trade, but of course we cannot be sure whether trade loss was caused by rising insecurity, or by the loss of markets, which in turn would cause more social unrest and hence rising insecurity. This period is also known for a drop in population levels.

1. Yes, travel between fortified settlements could become problematic, although of course nor everywhere to a similar level.
2. Travel did indeed never stop, but it would become more and more difficult. Due to the impoverishment of local government, road were no longer kept up.
3. No doubt. We see a move towards walled towns (which shrunk nonetheless) or to burgi (fortified places or fortlets) dotted around the countryside. In Britain we see a return to hillforts, but in no way comparable to the scale of these places during the Pre-Roman Iron Age.
4. Indeed, and if you could not expect to sell these goods, you probably would not undertake the journey in the first place.

Of course, we should not overestimate the impact of all this. I would say that in general, travelling from Rome to Gaul would hardly be different during the mid-5th century than it would be during the mid-8 century, looking from the political or economic point of view. And let’s not forget that trade still continued between the Empire out-of-the-way places such as Cornwall during the 6th century, although at a lower scale than before.

Sources for travel in Late Antiquity include pilgrimages to the Holy Land or travelling clerics. News about the world could take months to reach certain parts, when we reach the end of the 5th century.

There are a number of articles in which travel in Antiquity is described, for instance from the point of view of trade or pilgrimage.
I can recommend Ward-Perkins, Brian (2005): The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization, (Oxford University Press).
Or perhaps this book: Travel, communication, and geography in late antiquity: sacred and profane by Linda Ellis and Frank Kidner?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Lothia - 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Robert Vermaat - 06-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Caballo - 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Tiberio - 06-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Lothia - 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel & Geography in the Roman Empire ParthianBow 0 785 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow