Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel in the Later Roman Empire
I think there could be some differentiation between different parts of the Empire, although broad trends were probably in evidence everywhere. Where is your story taking place?

I have recently read Mitchell’s Anatolia, and I was surprised at how much the responsibility of local security fell to cities and local magistrates during Late Antiquity. Municipal magistrates organised and supervised patrols on local roads and kept the peace. In some cases on the Eastern frontier cities even constructed their own border fortifications and watch towers independent of imperial authority (although doubtlessly with imperial approval, or perhaps even by imperial command!). You read all these stories about invaders besieging a city while the emperor and the armies were thousands of miles away and wonder who was doing the defending. Well, the locals were the defence, or at least helping the defence, in many cases.

I think question #3 poses some difficulties. As others have hinted, there was a broad shift of power from cities to rural areas, which included the construction of fortified locales in the country. Yet the defences of urban areas were also strengthened, especially by a frenzy of wall-building. Does this mean walled towns were “safer”? I don’t think there is an easy answer, but I have my doubts. If cities remained the safest places I couldn’t imagine the power shift to rural seats taking place.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Messages In This Thread
Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Lothia - 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Caballo - 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Epictetus - 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Tiberio - 06-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Re: Travel in the Later Roman Empire - by Lothia - 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel & Geography in the Roman Empire ParthianBow 0 785 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow