Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constantine\'s Conversion
Interesting reply Jona, I also think he must have seen something, and sometimes when reading thucydides and other ancient authors i almost begin believing the ancient oracles.
The problem still is that these visions are often explained and mentioned by authors writing for a certain public as well as some of the ancient authors having their own agenda. It was not so silly that certain emperors did not look kindly upon astrologers and sooth sayers, but in a society which was so drenched with the belief in the gods, visions as well as natural fenomena which were being explained in terms of supernatural existence (an Egyptian meeting a crocodile and then offering a statue because he was convinced he had been visited by a god) as well as many other examples prove only one thing to me, that the ancient way of believing was deeply rooted and all abundant in the ancient society.

Another example is Paulus making use of the Greek altar for the unknown God, immediately stating that it was the Christian God.

We do not know what Constantine had for dinner that night, if he was on drugs or that the strain of the expedition made the vision appear. We just know he saw something.

The real conversion happened on his death bed, and well after his victory at the Pons Milvius.
I think he supported the early Christian Church for a reason:

Because he rewarded the church and Christ for rendered services, which for any Roman Emperor still engaged in the remains of the Cliens-Patronus system was only natural.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Messages In This Thread
Constantine\'s Conversion - by Jona Lendering - 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by Nathan Ross - 07-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by Robert Vermaat - 07-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by Dan Howard - 07-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by Jona Lendering - 07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by Jona Lendering - 07-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Re: Constantine\'s Conversion - by Robert Vermaat - 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM