Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events that allow women portraying soldiers?
Quote:Well Appius if you refer to myself, perhaps you should look at the link on my signature and you will see that it leads to such a group....

I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you - I was not. Truth is your first post was of the kind I *hoped* to see here, even though you didn't list any specific events.

I'm sorry if I sounded too rude, not just towards you, but to other members as well. It was difficult to remain silent and watch the debate getting derailed and getting into the kind of controversies I hoped to avoid. I've met too many people who could get very vocal and authoritative on this matter, so I'm kind of oversensitive now. And I hope that those of you who feel offended and think I've been unjust will accept my apology.

American Civil War was mentioned here. As it happens, I do own a blue uniform myself so I can make a comparison. Yes, there's a difference in the fact that we do have proof that women served in the ranks during ACW. But that difference alone does not explain the much higher level of prejudice againt women I've been meeting with in the Roman reenactment. To tell the truth, I still find it difficult to accept how many people in the Roman reenactment community have problems with women in "male roles".

I would like to live in a world where what kind of genital plumbing one has would have little impact on what is essentially a hobby. The reality I've been meeting with is quite different. Maybe the situation is less widespread than I think, I do admit that those say ten groups I've had to discuss this with are not a statisctically significant sample. But that's hardly comforting. And this was my first post here under a new username (the old one died during a RAT upgrade) so I hoped I could avoid being seen as a flamebaiting troll - and when I saw the signs of what could evolve into a holy war I tried to get the debate back on topic. And even though it seems my method worked, I do apologize for being unnecessarily rude.

So if you still want to post on topic here, or to say a word or two more about my language, I'll be glad to see you to.
---
Martin Žďánský,
a.k.a. Appius Solanius Pertinax

Messages In This Thread
Re: Events that allow women portraying soldiers? - by Appius - 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM