Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in Britain: Genocide & Christianity?
Hello all - and first of all can I just say (admit) I am not any kind of expert or historian, even an amateur one! I just wanted to express a lay person's opinion - I hope you all don't mind...

I have just listened to Manada Scott's piece on the latest BBC History podcast and I have to say that while her idea (or should I say 'ideal') is attractive even I winced at some of her propositions.

First of all I think there is a kernel of truth in some of what she says - Roman occupation was no bed of roses for the ordinary inhabitant of these isles. And I also agree - perhaps because I am of Celtic decent myself - that the Celtic peoples probably could have continued on very nicely thank you very much without Roman civilization being forced upon them...In fact I think it's a mistake to think that civilization *came* to these isles with the Romans. Celtic civilization was already here. But I digress.

Manda seemed to me to be pandering to a very sentimental view of the native Celts in much the same way as some romanticise the life style of the Native Americans. 'New Wave' culture dictates that these aboriginal times (if that's the correct phrase) were a 'better' times. People see the Celts through tinted glasses as some sort of ideal culture where 'we' were all happier and healthier.

Manada seems to fall into this trap, particularly as she gets on her soap box about a more 'equal' culture which was fairer to women.

Her ideas that were it not for the Romans that we would today be in the midst of some sort of matriarchal utopia are rather dubious. And while, yes, Celts did manage without the Roman roads even I have to almost admire the Roman knack for industrialization and commerce.

In short - I found some of her statements hokey - though I couldn't always say for sure why.

Again - I hope you do not mind my saying my peace, I sort of agree with some of the things said in this thread, I also agree with a few of the ideas that Manda has - but I definitely wouldn't say 'let's split the difference' as I don't think the truth is halfway between both views on this occasion.

Thank you for a very interesting forum - I will be sure to become a more frequent visitor.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Romans in Britain: Genocide & Christianity? - by Stephen Beat - 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The English and the Celts - no genocide? Tarbicus 153 38,584 02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Last Post: authun