Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetarian gladiators...
Hello all<br>
<br>
I think what the dietary finds show here is how the gladiators in Ephesus ate at the time in question and not much else.<br>
<br>
An interestuing quote from Sander was given on the RCS about the dietary habits of some other gladiators:<br>
<br>
Reference to the fattening up of gladiators:<br>
<br>
Cyprianus, 2.2<br>
<br>
Paratur gladiatorius ludus, ut libidinem crudelium luminum sanguis oblectet; impletur in succum cibis fortioribus corpus: et arvina assidui nidoris membrorum moles robusta pinguescit, ut saginatus in paenam carius pereat: homo occiditur in hominis voluptatem, et ut quis possit occidere peritia est, usus est, ars est<br>
<br>
'The gladiatorial school is intended so that blood can satisfy the lust of cruel eyes; the body is filled with the most nourishing food to fatness: and the robust mass of limbs is fattened up amidst the neverending greasy kitchen smells, so that covered in lard he may die harder as a punishment: a man is killed to the satisfaction of man, and even in such a manner that what can kill, is a skill, is a custom, is an art: '<br>
<br>
I suspect that fat doesn't mean grossly over weight to the inability of movement but with a good layer of fat over the body, as for images if you take a good look at a lot of the images that do not make it into the mainstream books there are a good prtion of smooth looking big gladiators. But to be honest given different genetic abilities to store or loose weight I suspect that there would hae been thin and fat out there.<br>
<br>
As to the diet of pulse foods, I know that modern body builders will often avoid pulse food prior to shows as it retains water and builds a fatty/doughy/watery layer around the body.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps. <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Vegetarian gladiators... - by Anonymous - 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Re: Vegetarian gladiators... - by Anonymous - 04-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Re: Vegetarian gladiators... - by Anonymous - 04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Re: Vegetarian gladiators... - by Anonymous - 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Re: Vegetarian gladiators... - by Vincula - 04-12-2004, 09:06 PM
the diet - by Gashford - 04-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Re: the diet - by TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 04-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Re: the diet - by Hibernicus - 04-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Re: the diet - by Anonymous - 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM