Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in Britain: Genocide & Christianity?
Quote:
Vortigern Studies post=293533 Wrote:You've been reading Stuart Laycock's books. Wink
An interesting observation....is that a good or bad thing Wink
By itself, not a bad thing. Stuart is a great guy who wrote some great books (on of them with my face on the cover, so who complaing? Big Grin ). In this case though I can't agree with his conclusion that the Britons were hardly affected by the centuries of Roman presence, that the tribal background survived (including identity and inter-tribal conflict) throughout the occupation, and that the end of that occupation was already preceded by a re-arming of these tribal communities.

The way Paul described it, the 'same old tribal boundaries', is pure speculation of course because we hardly know where they boundaries were in the first place. I also see no going back to Iron Age norms, to the contrary: where they could, they attempted to sustain a lot of Romanitas. I think post-Roman Britain was very different from pre-Roman Britain. Not just socially. Although a lot of 'horoic society' springs up again, that's to be expected. It doesn't mean that it remained around, beneath the surface.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Romans in Britain: Genocide & Christianity? - by Stephen Beat - 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Re: Romans in Britain: Genocide & Christianity? - by Robert Vermaat - 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The English and the Celts - no genocide? Tarbicus 153 38,575 02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Last Post: authun