Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucanian sausages - beginners question
My wife is a fermentation enthusiast, so what I learned from her is that the casings are actually the important part... It's not specifically said in "Apicius" (as usual - "obvious" things are not mentioned, so you end up "reconstructing" a different thing if they are not so obvious to you), but the casings are supposed to be pig guts, washed but not dried (at least that's what my grandparents used). When you put the meat in them, the bacteria from the guts start a fermentation process; so it's not really a good idea to kill them off at this stage by smoking - maybe wait a day or two for them to move inside the meat first?

I'll try what Medicus matt suggested and get some sort of funnel over the fire.

I read somewhere that in the past (admittedly - Medieval times) they used to just hang the meats and sausages high in the fireplace, where they were constantly smoked for months as the fire never went out. But, as I said, I have no personal experience or much knowledge (or fireplace); will have to do some experiments :-)
www.romaiv.com - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?
Man saying it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it. (Chinese proverb)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Lucanian sausages - beginners question - by Pavel Kalinov - 08-10-2011, 06:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman-Lucanian Sausages Anonymous 8 2,248 03-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Caius Fabius