Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ownership of Imperial era Weapons and Armor?
On the basis of 'convergent evolution', here is something to ponder on. I once knew a chap (who was 104 when he died) who had served in the Royal Navy throughout the First WW. His mind was pin sharp, though. He told me that, on his first commission in the South Atlantic, a sailor was drowned (fell out of a boat). His kit was sold off by auction (with some items being sold up to three times) and the proceeds were sent to his widowed mother.

I wonder if something like this was not going on (hence my convergent evolution comment) with this chap in the Roman army? I've seen a translation of the papyrus in question. It seems to be a document whereby the chap's mother is being asked to confirm that she has no further claim on the Roman state for her son's gear - which strongly suggests that the soldier owned his own stuff.

As far as having money docked from pay for gear is concerned, there is a number of papyri that strongly suggest this. Possibly the most famous (infamous?) is that from a soldier in legio X Fretensis at Masada, where you can see that he is being charged for a 'white tunic' as well as a linen one. He is also being docked for leather straps/laces. There are other examples from Vindolanda writing tablets of soldiers paying for their gear.

I think I also remember reading somewhere that a recruit was advanced money by the army to purchase his gear when he joined up and that this would then be paid back over time from his wages.
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ownership of Imperial era Weapons and Armor? - by Caratacus - 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Severius Acceptus grave: weapons, armor and period CaesarAugustus 7 1,620 02-12-2020, 07:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Culture Clash in Weapons, Armor, Clothing, Architecture, and More Liburnius 1 1,193 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Modern Weapons vs Old Armor Sidney100 11 10,612 12-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Bryan