Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New sword find in Jerusalem, image?
Quote: I am afraid you are gravely mistaken and should read up on your Jewish history.
Well, since you were obviously there at the time, please let us know what really happened.

Quote:The garrisons which were attacked throughout Iudaea numbered significantly less than 2 Legions. Its also not even known how many people were in the city when it was under siege, let alone how they were armed and with what. We do know the armouries were opened and (Roman) siege artillery was put on top of the Antonia, the walls as well as the Temple area itself.
In which I take back the word 'fully'. But since you claimed that the sword could only be lost in the tunnel by a Roman ("inconsistent with any Roman legionary losing his sword") I think that the the possibilities of Jewish defenders using Roman swords captured in the years before the siege represent more than a likely possibility, as you have confirmed yourself in your last post. So why am I 'gravely mistaken' again? :wink:

Quote:This sword in no way looks Roman to me. It does not look like a Spatha nor does it look like a Gladius hispaniensis. If it looks anything at all it looks republican.
Please let us know why exactly, because the Israeli archaeologists seem to know nothing about swords whatsoever. :mrgreen:

My apologies for being a bit cynic here, but you are quite harsh in your condemnations, without offering us anything where you base that on.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
New sword find in Jerusalem, image? - by richard - 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Re: New sword find in Jerusalem, image? - by Luca - 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Re: New sword find in Jerusalem, image? - by Robert Vermaat - 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Re: New sword find in Jerusalem, image? - by Doc - 08-27-2011, 10:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sword find at Vindolanda yesterday, June 24! richsc 4 1,687 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius