Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum height for a legionary
Greetings, A pair of Caligae from CUT are very large somewhat larger then European 47 UK 13 although relatively narrow, I believe there's also a large carbatina(again 13)in the British Museum, if foot size is in anyway related to physical height these were tall men, but at least as far as shoes go rare.
I think average foot and head size today is higher then in the roman world generally with both men and women being smaller on average, local living conditions and health during childhood are likely to have a greater or lesser effect though, so it doesnt suprise me that the Germans for example were considered taller (ie town living as opposed to rural farmers).
The minimum height for enlistement and does this reflect the average height of the male population though is a good question, here I can only give examples of more recent times, in 1914 the enlistment minimum height was around 5'6"(AEF were taller at 5'7" minimum) for the major combatants however this was reduced pretty rapidly as casualties mounted eventually dropping as low as 5' by mid war or earlier.
Perhaps the situation is this the Average Roman soldier is taller or above average height then the Average roman Male poulation, but this probarbly wouldnt be noticable unless you have a large body of men together it would also allow a certain standardisation of kit, a few shoe sizes for example would likely fit the majority of a unit allowing easier mass production and supply.

Ivor Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Re: Minimum height for a legionary - by Tarbicus - 08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Re: Minimum height for a legionary - by jkaler48 - 08-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Re: Minimum height for a legionary - by Crispianus - 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM