Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Greek military hero do you admire most?
Quote:So where were the Spartans during the Roman era?

Generally tucked up safe and sound at home ...

except for a brief period under the scoundrel Nabis (Sparta's last hurrah) ... and there was one Roman emperor (can't remember who - somebody fill in this for me please) who had both a Makedonian and Spartan unit in his Roman army - pretty much because he fancied it, and was something of an indulgent collector/fantasist.

The Spartans provided units at both the battles of Philippi and Pharsalos (on the winning side I think)...

Of course by this stage, all the various Greek city states, regions and kingdoms - throughout the greater Greek world - were pretty much worn out by their endless bickering and internecine strife. In some ways that is why the Romans had it so easy. They only had Carthage to deal with. Had Makedon remained strong and produced another Phillip II or Alexander III - then it might not have been so easy...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: What Greek military hero do you admire most? - by Ghostmojo - 11-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Military Cuisine Ramesses II 2 1,122 03-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek military pictures Carlton Bach 29 6,270 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Arthes
  What Interests You About the Greek Military? JRSCline 16 6,081 03-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Anonymous