Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass
Quote:Thanks, the article confirms my ideas about linen armour. The point is that it shouldn't be seen as just a 'subarmalis' for a metal armour, but as armour as such.
The idea isn't entirely implausible, IMO. But the earliest unambiguous examples of quilted, fabric armor that come to mind are the cotton shirts the Spaniards adopted from the Aztecs. And only then those shirts provided some protection against the stone age weapons they encountered. So, I'm not sure how useful a similar garment would prove in a Roman context. If a Roman was too poor to afford metalic armor I suppose a linen subarmalis was better than going Celt. Even so I can't imagine the widespread use of a subarmalis as standalone armor during the affluent age of the Late Republic and the Principate when metalic armor was in abundance and provided by the state. I'm curious what type of impression you have in mind to wear the subarmalis with. Legionary, auxiliary, marine?
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass - by Theodosius the Great - 11-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scabbards, covered in leather or NOT? Robert 37 5,786 08-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 209 62,553 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Roman linen/leather armour scotti73 5 1,953 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner