Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Pirates and the Saxon Shore
I was struck recently when I read an article on the forts built in Pannonia which argued that their main purpose was largely as rearward supply bases for the forward forts strung out along the edges of the limes there. These former were large heavily fortified forts often of massive size and similar in design to some of the Saxon Shore forts. The ND lists garrison units which are too small to man the walls and that, coupled with the archeological remains, points to these structures collecting, hoarding and then distributing annonae and other material supplies both to the limitanei and also to the field army when the latter was engaged in campaigning. These forts were sited in areas which hid them from view or often denied them the best strategic view of the landscape.

This brings me back to the Saxon Shore forts and the question of their primary purpose. While I would be hesitant to argue that they all were designed to fulfill any single overall purpose, the fact that they were listed under a single military command does indicate that at some point they were combined under an overarching remit. If we take the Pannonian model as a base then we can see that perhaps these forts were heavily defended and large and therefore served as central reserve nodes to a largely mobile fleet presence and limitanei garrison force strung out along the coastal litus. The hypothesis that these forts were designated under a Comes to watch over an area settled by Saxons has always seemed odd to me - in that I can think of no other title or command similarly set up. Such a command would therefore be unique - certainly in terms of how it is titled in the ND.

Also, I think it is important to see the command in relation to the companion commands on the Gallic coasts - the Dux Tractus Armoricani and the Dux Belgica Secundae - as forming a larger defensive and supportive net designed to supply and defend a hugely important sea-route in the Late Empire. Ammianus at least stresses the ability of the military supplies from Britain alone to relieve military operations as far as the Rhine litoral. These last two commands may - and I stress may here! - have been a remnant of the Carausian legacy and when we remember that Ascelpiodotus and Constantius launched a two-pronged maritime invasion from the Gallic coast against Allectus (after regaining the Gallic areas) then perhaps these two commands echo the original mustering and launching areas under each seperate commander. One invaded up through the Solent which would align itself with the Armorican area while the other moved up to the Thames and later Londoninium which would place its base of muster and invasion within Belgica Secundae. If this tentative suggestion holds water then the Saxon Shore forts remain part of a larger defense network and not a command designed to police already settled Saxons.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Messages In This Thread
Re: Germanic Pirates and the Saxon Shore - by Longovicium - 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Saxons of the Saxon Shore? Robert Vermaat 26 7,156 08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mithras