Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You, Scipio and an unexcavated Roman temple!
Hello Friends!

A few months ago I started a thread about Roman Heroes. I was interested in getting your opinions on which I should sculpt next. There were many suggestions, but Scipio Africanus was the favorite. Since then, I have begun the sculpture and the enthusiasm in the archaeology community has grown.

I have used my work to support history and archaeology projects in the past. The first was an expedition to find the battlefield of Thermopylae in Greece.
Well, for the Roman history enthusiasts I have a new project.

I will donate the proceeds of my new sculpture, that you helped choose, to excavate a Roman temple in Italy. The site is has never been touched. This is a chance to support an exciting project and come to Italy to have a private tour with the archaeologist. I hope you check it out.

Below is the information on the excavation or go to the project page to learn more. On our site there are photos of Dr. Dicus in Pompeii, updates about the temple and additional photos of the sculpture: http://dlcooperstudios.com/art-and-archaeology.html

**DL Cooper Studios is proud to announce a NEW Archeological Expedition Project!
Scipio Africanus at Zama, a new limited edition sculpture by DiAnne Cooper will be supporting an exciting new archaeological expedition to a never before excavated Roman temple.

Art & Archaeology - 2012

Renowned sculptor DiAnne Cooper is teaming up with archaeologist Kevin Dicus, Ph.D. of the University of Michigan for The Art & Archeology 2012 Project. The project is centered on a never before excavated temple that Dr. Dicus has discovered outside of a small Renaissance city in central Italy.
Proceeds from the sale of Scipio Africanus at Zama will go to fund the excavation. This is a rare opportunity to be a part of new discoveries in Roman history. There will be only 50 editions of cast the sculpture. Each sculpture is hand finished by the artist. DiAnne’s sculptures are prized by collectors and sell out very quickly

[attachment=2599]1a_2012-01-16.jpg[/attachment]

All patrons who purchase the sculpture will be invited to visit the dig site in Italy for an exclusive private tour with Dr. Dicus and DiAnne Cooper. After the site visit, we will share an evening of archeology, art, pasta and wine. The site will not be open to the general public.

We will keep you informed on the progress of the project by posting updates and photos on the Art and Archaeology page.
Dr. Dicus, who specializes in Etruscan and Roman history. He has been working on archeological sites in Italy for nearly a decade. In recent years, has been excavating private homes at Pompeii and an Etruscan Sanctuary in Tolfa, Italy.

Note: I met Kevin in Rome, Spring 2010, while on an art study sabbatical that took me through dozens of museums and sites across Italy. During my time in Rome, Kevin graciously spent four days giving me an extensive and enlightening tour through Etruscan and Roman sites and history. He is an enthusiastic and brilliant ambassador for archeology and a wonderful friend.

I have a deep appreciation of history and art. I strongly believe in the conservation, protection and study of ancient sites and artifacts. This is the second project of this kind that I am supporting. Participation in them has been extraordinarily interesting, educational and rewarding. PLEASE JOIN US!

The photos are of Kevin teaching his Graduate students and the sculpture in progress.
The sculpture still needs refining and additional ornamentation. If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know! [attachment=2598]arch14_2012-01-16.JPG[/attachment]

Scipio’s helmet is an Etruscan / Corinthian with hinged cheek gaurds. I chose that style because on his coinage, he is wearing that kind of helmet and writings about him mention that he was heavily influenced by Greek culture.

I still need help with details like ornamentation, sword fittings, armor lacings, greave decorations and attachments. If you have any illustrations or reference material, I would love to see it!

http://dlcooperstudios.com/art-and-archaeology.html
Email me at [email protected]

If you can repost elsewhere and help spread the word, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
DiAnne

[attachment=2600]2a_2012-01-16.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2601]3a_2012-01-16.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
You, Scipio and an unexcavated Roman temple! - by DiAnne Cooper - 01-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman warship from the Fortuna temple relief in Praeneste Uwe Bahr 8 3,262 12-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Patrick Tansey