Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Rome\'s allies were so loyal?
Seems to me that in just about every war in history the enemy was demonised. In the case of Carthage and human sacrifice, etc. The job would be very easy. No doubt travellers to Carthage would have confirmed the propaganda and underlined it. If you were an ally of Rome, even if you weren't blissfully happy with Rome, who would you rather be subject to? Likewise, should the Carthaginians, start looking around for victims to offer to their gods, would you want them to look over at you and no Rome to save you? Same reason the neighbors of the Aztecs were pretty happy when Cortez showed up. Given the similarlities Rome and its allies shared, and the really alien culture of the Carthaginians, throw in keeping yourself and your family away from altars to Ba'al, if it were me, I'd remain loyal to Rome too. Besides, Hannibal wasn't going to be there forever, but when the enemy went home Rome would still be there and want explanations
Caesar audieritis hoc

Messages In This Thread
Why Rome\'s allies were so loyal? - by daniel - 01-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Re: Why Rome\'s allies were so loyal? - by Lyceum - 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Re: Why Rome\'s allies were so loyal? - by daniel - 01-31-2012, 04:19 AM
Re: Why Rome\'s allies were so loyal? - by Draconis ( Tom) - 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM