Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman reenactors becoming a Global Organization????
Tiberias, I think you have seen from previous threads, that our group would fully support a "Roman reenactment federation". We have a long record of helping new groups get started, my little book had almost become a "manual" for some, and if I didn't want to see authentic Roman equipment in the hands of everyone interested, I never would have assisted Deepeeka.<br>
<br>
As for FAMS, I think it is a great idea, and would say now that FAMS members who do not have Roman equipment, but who want to "experience" Roman living history at the events in Europe, would be welcome to be the guests of LEG XIIII GMV and be issued a complete equipment to participate.<br>
<br>
Some of the comments on this thread seem to indicate that this proposed federation should be very "loose", so to let everybody "do their own thing" much as is going on now. lf that's how it would be, then it probably wouldn't be much different than what we already have, a lot of guys from a lot of units, sharing information on "Roman Army Talk". And I think that's great, but if the "do your own thing bit" is the parameters, RAT is doing an admirable job on its own and don't really see what more would be accomplished in calling it a "federation".<br>
<br>
Here is what I think though, for what it is worth. Some time ago, people could particpate in a Civil War reenactment wearing JC Penny blue or gray cotton work suits, and a pressed felt "Disneyland" kepi. (Maybe somewhere they still do?) There were whole units of dismounted cavalry (because a brass fraem reveolver was cheaper than a musket), and officers usually outnumbered enlisted men on the field. It was pretty pathetic, but it happened because everyone could "do their own thing". At the same time, The Brigade of the American Revolution was created. They established authenticity standards, realistic, mandatory officer to soldier ratios, etc. and overall portrayed a vastly more authentic level of reenactment, despite the greater difficulty in doing this period. That's not to say there weren't always some very good Civil War units, and the standard has vastly improved since then.<br>
<br>
I believe a Roman federation should follow the same lines. For example, some Roman "legion" of one centurion and a neat website that joins this "federation" should not have the right to parade around a federation event dress as a centurion if he doesn't have the soldiers to back it up. It is an insult to every "real" group. Likewise, lets say we have a "federation" of several Roman groups, and a film company contacts us for this very reason (that we have a federation of many Romans). Then lets say, the film company asks us to stage some battle scenes. In the "do your own thing" federation, the "display only/manequinn" Roman groups might refuse to participate, thereby embarrasing the federation at large. The federation might also be invited to a major historical event, and if there are no authenticity standards in some of the "federation" sub-units, then again, the federation's reputation will suffer and we might not get another film opportunity. Some groups in the federation might boycott an important event simply because they'd refuse to change their tunic color, wear or not wear crests, etc,. if the sponsor wanted uniformity. Although the federation hasn't happened yet, ALL of these things have indeed happened in the past, I know, I've been there.<br>
<br>
Like I said before, I most definately believe there should be a federation. But becuase of irreconcilable differences, maybe we need to decide from the very beginning if it is truly going to be a federation of Roman "reenactors" or a federation of guys who just "dress up" like Romans, and refuse to fight, get dirty or wet. In Britian, I think the term is "Fancy Dress".<br>
Actually, most of the fancy dress "mannequin groups" would not join a "federation" anyway, since their major aim is doing "paid performances" and they obviously would not get as much if they participated with a "federation". Mark my words, some "real" Roman reenactors will probably fly, at largely their own expense, all the way to Italy from the U.S.A. this year for Albano, because it should be great event. "Fancy Dress" mannequin groups will not go - period, if they don't think they are going to be paid enough. Why the difference, Roman reenactors have a lot more incentive. Mannequin romans have become so "dulled" by the same old routines that they often could care less where they do their nest "performance". Another example, our group, LEG XIIII brought Roman reenacting for the first time to Romania last September to commemorate both Trajan's birthday, and the 1900th anniversary of the first Dacian War. We had around a 20 man display, and the costs practically all came out of my own pocket. No other group would go because Romanians couldn't afford their price. Dan.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Roman reenactors becoming a Global Organization???? - by Anonymous - 02-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Re: Roman reenactors becoming a Global Organization???? - by Anonymous - 02-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Re: Roman reenactors magazine. - by Caius Fabius - 02-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Re: Global Organization and Newsletter.... - by Anonymous - 02-28-2002, 08:18 PM
FAMS - by JRSCline - 03-01-2002, 06:22 AM
Re: FAMS - by Anonymous - 03-01-2002, 10:36 AM
Re: FAMS and the Roman Reenactment Federation - by Daniel S Peterson - 03-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Re: FAMS and the Roman Reenactment Federation - by Anonymous - 03-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Re: FAMS and the Roman Reenactment Federation - by Anonymous - 03-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Roman Reenactment Federation - by Caius Fabius - 03-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Re: FAMS and the Roman Reenactment Federation - by Anonymous - 03-04-2002, 03:16 AM
Re: FAMS and the Roman Reenactment Federation - by Anonymous - 03-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Re: FAMS and the Roman Reenactment Federation - by Anonymous - 03-05-2002, 08:49 AM
gladiators - by Anonymous - 03-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Why thank you! - by JRSCline - 03-08-2002, 06:19 AM
Re: Organization, Confederacy, Federation..... - by Anonymous - 03-08-2002, 04:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Tragedy SAJID 2 1,289 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Last Post: franciscus