Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese the Battle of the Angrivarii Wall ?
Ahmmmm mmmmh,
...here's da "nasty" Kalkriese discussion again. :mrgreen:
I faintly remember that there were times on this forum, when discussion over this became
heated/"a bit personal" :roll: ...while I think the stature of this problem justifies to keep it under discussion constantly,( Until it finally solves ?) I hope this here stays as "cool" as it is.
Now, when reading through this thread I had some other "flashbacks".
IIRC they did not adress Kalkriese as varian battlefield-scene before Summer 1991.
Tony Clunn had already made finds since even before 1987, then. (Mostly coins IIRC)
A lot of arguments have been dealt forth and back, but something seems to have gone overlooked : I also faintly remembered that there were (then) traces found at nearby Schwagstorf, that hinted to wards an roman marching camp of 70ha size -- judged after aerial photographs.
I've been searching the net for the photograph(s) and was not able to find any single reference to it, -- until today.
Here's this news-article from german magazine "DER SPIEGEL":
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-13492582.html
I still have to find a photograph of this location again.
(I faintly remember having seen it those days and it really looked like Marktbreit someway)
But in the meantime I keep wondering why there seems to be no research on this place
or even a statement, that the "first impression" was wrong. (Maybe I overlooked s.th.)
This may be a "by-problem" only but it signifies to what may have gone wrong at Kalkriese IMHO.

Greez

Simplex

P.S.

Today is my day ( in a way). :roll:
Just found a reference to the Schwagstorf trench-traces:
http://www.theiss.de/pdf/3806217602.pdf
...it says that the aerial photos were made by german reconnaisance-icon Otto Braasch in
1990 and subsequent prospection did find NO early roman finds, but gave rise to the
perception of it as a part of a (medieval?) defence-line.
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Kalkriese the Battle of the Angrivarii Wall ? - by Simplex - 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help wanted: breakdown of battle find by type (e.g. Kalkriese) MonsGraupius 9 4,437 12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ? raeticus 61 16,415 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna