Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the assasination of Caesar justified?
I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. While I think some of the conspirators had better intentions, such as Brutus who we are sometimes led to believe was pressured into doing this for the Republic rather than personal motivation. No doubt many senators were irritated (to say the least) with things Caesar was doing which were either non-traditional or against the senator's interests.

From my understanding, and this will vary source to source, Caesar initially denied taking the crown after seeing the public's reaction. Remember Roman's were very proud of being a Republic, and it was a crime to try to be king, Tiberius Gracchus was killed decades earlier when irate senators convinced the mobs that he was trying to be king.

But did Caesar want ultimate power? YES! This guy was an ego maniac, he kept records of his slave purchases secret, since he would only have the most attractive slaves and was embarrassed by how much he spent on them. He made up an excuse to go to war with an allied Gaulish tribe to conquer all of Gaul. He went to war against the legitimate government and put himself on top (although he did give clemency to Romans who surrendered to him). He convinced his men they would win any battle because they were "Caesar's men" and therefore better than any other troops, including fellow Romans. Albeit I will say that his contributions positively reformed Rome for the greater good
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Messages In This Thread
Re: Was the assasination of Caesar justified? - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM