Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Quick question:

Why do you wear a Tunica with Laticlavi but do not have a clavus on your Toga ?

Just nitpicking here...

The problem I have with superlarge events is not that the general audience does not get enthousiast about Roman re-enacting or even the Roman world for that matter, the problem I see happening at these mega events like the ones in Rome and in other places is that there will be a mixture of low standard, historically inaccurate and badly researched equipment, and some groups who do it right.

Furthermore, on some of the events I have visited during my past years of re-enacting, the general public was not only misinformed, but told absolute and ridiculous stories about the Roman world, its culture, its military as well as its civilian life.

If the start point of re-enactment is that it is there to educate and research, why then does it often change into a gathering of likeminded nerds who do not research anymore but buy and wear whatever comes to their fancy ? Why is it that there often is no clue within some of them about educating the masses with information coming from true research in stead of the rather unsubstantiated statements many of them make?

There are a few groups, and this is true, who do it right and try to be not only educational but also want to have their equipment as near to the museum pieces or their reconstruction/restoration as can be possible. The rest buys badly researched copies of ancient armor and clothes without even knowing it.

Maybe that is one of the reasons nitpickng exists. Scholarship thrives on nitpicking.

True nitpicking does not entail arrogance by the way, it forms a means to discuss and nitpick your way into possible new insights and theories which can be substantiated by scholarly literature as well as research.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 - by MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 19,279 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS