Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Well said Mark!

Mark Downes wrote:
share your knowledge face to face over a beer in the evening, and go home tired with happy memories and a big grin.

Well I for one certainly did! Thanks again chaps!

While congratulations must go to all those re-enactors who turned up and stayed over on the Sunday, it should be remembered that there were also members of public about on the Sunday too. They certainly cared enough to turn up in miserable weather which would have weeded out all those not really bothered, so I do not entirely subscribe to the view that all the public do not care.

There are many other events where unlike Chester you have to pay an entrance fee to get in and that may also be after travelling some considerable distance. If anyone bothers to do that they must care a bit. I know I have done it myself and some groups have been unfortunate to see me turn up at their shows as a fee paying member of the public who cares!

I would also disagree with the view that a film like 'Gladiator' was popular simply because it was inaccurate. Basically in my opinion the reason it was popular and other films perhaps more accurate were not was because, as any Roman games editor would know, they put on a good show!

However there is no reason why a good show cannot be as accurate as possible as well as entertaining and for the most part that is what everyone is striving for.

Graham.

P.S As well as the event in the Netherlands, the Chester event also coincided with the Gallo-Roman festival at Saint Romaine-en-Gal with many re-enactors from France, Spain and Italy. It also came just a few days after the two week Tarraco Viva Roman Festival in Spain. These are all regular events, so just a thought perhaps on future scheduling for the Chester festival.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 - by Graham Sumner - 06-13-2012, 04:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 19,402 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS