Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf & Twins/Oberstimm Balteus plates dating
Specifically the SOTW Balteus plates: http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id191.html

I am having a hard time finding more information about these plates, I was able to dig up a thread here on RAT at one point about the original wolf & twin plates, and Matt Amt had a small feature on the Legio XX site, but other than that, more information is far and few between.

As I understand it, both different plates came from Oberstimm, but not necessarily from the same balteus? What about the other plate (I instinctively refer to the plate with the wolf as the "Wolf & Twins" plate because the two are inseparable as far as Roman history is concerned, but perhaps the "Twins" just refers to the other plate?). This other plate that has which appears to have Augustus with the spirits of Romulus & Remus? According to Anthony Everitt, Octavian wanted to have the title of "Romulus", so maybe the other plate is supposed to help Augustus' legacy blend in with Romulus'? This is of course assuming it is even Augustus on the second plate.

Can anyone tell me more about this balteus and/or plates?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Messages In This Thread
Wolf & Twins/Oberstimm Balteus plates dating - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 06-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my cingulum of Oberstimm Lucius Petilius Remo 9 2,766 09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Oberstimm beltplates Marcus Mummius 33 6,994 12-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Balteus plates dimensions Marcus Mummius 0 1,213 09-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius