Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Logistics and ancient warfare
Quote:What I mean by the Hellenistic doctrine of warfare, is that the general methodology used by Hellenistic/Greek generals was to place more men at the point of attack, inflicting more casualties and formations of large depth.

So, you are talking about pitched battle tactics... Not really, not THE "Hellenic doctrine of warfare". It was one tactic that was used in some cases (additional depth at the striking point). There were a number of ways to "strengthen" a part of your phalanx or/and use it as your main offensive effort.

Quote:I tried to bring this up earlier, what supply depots were used according to the primary sources, and what carrying capacity did they have?"

Well... I cannot say what the exact bases that he would have built were, Sardis surely being one, but as far s capacities were concerned, storehouses could be really huge... A large amount of Egypt's grain was stored in such, Mesopotamia's too. The technology was there, so was the manpower. A network of comlpexes of granaries throughout the Empire would have been constructed/utilized and linked with caravans that would keep the flow of grain towards the sea.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Ancient Logistics and ancient warfare - by Matt - 07-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Re: Ancient Logistics and ancient warfare - by Macedon - 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Ancient Warfare issues would you recommend for an interest in phalangites? mma_calculator 1 2,080 05-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Historical Dictionary of Ancient Greek Warfare Tarbicus 0 1,323 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology Agesilaos 26 17,548 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: lucius Gellius cuniculus