Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman troops: \"normal\" vs. elite
It's an interesting thought that the troops shown wearing muscule cuirasses on monumental works such as the Column of Theodosius and the Column of Arcadius could be representations of the Palatine legions i.e. the best of the best? Perhaps only the Palatine legions wore the cuirasses whilst the comitatensis units wore the mail/scale hauberks?

As to the helmets, the bejewelled Berkasovo helmet looks very similar to the description given about Valentinian I's helmet which 'shone with scintilating light' from the gems on it. The raised ridge on the top could have had a crest fixed to it, I would suggest that you could have affixed a horse hair crest to a textile backing that was then glued to the raised ridge. This could then be easily replaced if damaged but would have left no trace after being buried in the ground for over 1500 years, just a thought...
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Re: Late Roman troops: \"normal\" vs. elite - by ValentinianVictrix - 08-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman troops in Thuringia ? Simplex 17 6,515 09-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman militia and garrison troops Legate 0 555 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Legate
  Training Foreign Troops-Roman Evidence? Titus Labienus 8 2,382 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs