Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Iliad: proof that it was real?
Well as usual there is a colossal facepalm at this sort of thing. Carrier did an alright, if overly polite, job at explaining the problems with it.

Firstly, I do hope this project is not getting grant money. I mean...I really really do. Secondly yes these "Scientists" really ought to learn logic, I mean my god. Morons.

Incidentally if anybody is actually interested in how oral poetics work we have a vast body of literature built up over decades, across various cultures you can consult. For the Greek in particular we're well served.

Its funny. I was discussing something similar with an anc historian and a few other Homerists the other day, how non Homerists never seem to understand this stuff (with a few exceptions like R. Thomas) and that Aegean Archaeologists are particularly prone to idiocy but I guess these pair beat the likes of Palaima et al. Good for them. We now have a new (bad) paradigm to point out.

EDIT: Should also point out that, despite obvious misgivings at...whatever the hell this was. I'm thankful so many people are still interested in the ancient world. Now, if we could get kids into reading Homer a bit more....
Jass

Messages In This Thread
The Iliad: proof that it was real? - by Epictetus - 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Re: The Iliad: proof that it was real? - by Lyceum - 08-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iliad - new translations Epictetus 17 5,690 11-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS