Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrian\'s \"Ektaxis kat\' Alanon\" transl issue
Quote:If, having wheeled about into [designated] areas, they wish to ride beyond the horns (=wings), [let them] extend the light archery's horns (=wings) even [more] into higher places. As I reckon, seeing our horns (=wings) weakened by upward extension, they (=the foes) would never thrust through them and cut down the infantry contingent.

Thx Michael, it seems that he also follows the "traditional" interpretation of the text... I cannot understand how he (and Pantelakes) come to this translation of the second sentence. As I see it, they add words and stretch meanings to make it conform to this interpretation in order to make sense.

I think it is established that this is the "traditional" interpretation... Anyone with a very good knowledge of ancient Greek to voice an opinion on my objections? Jass?

For example they treat the verb "dokimazo" as if it was "dokeo". It is the second one that means "reckon, think, seem". The "dokimazo" verb used by Arrian means "approve, test/taste". The "ou" (not) before the verb most probably (to me it seems certain but it is true that sometimes ancient Greek tends to be a bit too liberal...) goes to this very verb, since the "mepote" (another word that they seem to ignore) introduces a new sentence (and as such the sentence should start with "I do not approve", the "os" being an additional issue that points against the interpunct (thx Sean)). Under that prism Arrian clearly says that the Alans WILL (and not "will NOT" - or "will never") cut through his line...

-Some may wonder why I even bother, so this is the reason : I am currently compiling material for a study I make on tactics and I want to be certain as to whether Arrian actually orders/encourages an extension of the battle formation or argues against it, wishing to advise his officers against a maneuver that they would probably make if this order had not been issued endangering an enemy break-through in the wings.-
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Re: Arrian\'s \"Ektaxis kat\' Alanon\" transl issue - by Macedon - 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,986 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite