Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in China? No--How About Ancient Greeks ...
It seems to me more likely in 36 BCE they might be Roman rather than Greek. By this time Greece was firmly under Rome's thumb. There was trade between Rome and China, I have seen pictures of elegant Roman glass work found in China, so why not exchange of military expertise as well? Possibly, some soldiers hearing of China and the wealth, might have gone off in search of fame and fortune? Not long ago, I watched a Chinese film the story of which involved a major battle contemporary with ancient Rome. During the course of the battle, soldiers fought in a testudo formation ( and called it a testudo as well)... Is it possible some remnants of the armies of the conspirators who were defeated at Phillipi might have headed east not wishing, for whatever reason, to return to Rome? Just speculation...
Caesar audieritis hoc

Messages In This Thread
Romans in China? No--How About Ancient Greeks ... - by Draconis ( Tom) - 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Ancient Greeks ever bless or cast spells on their arms and armour? Cletus_the_Black 0 644 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Cletus_the_Black
  how did ancient greeks make aspis? gookbbong 12 6,810 10-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Arthur
  Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks Praefectusclassis 17 4,071 01-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Last Post: JP Vieira