Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Post and Hamata Supplies Question
Quote:
Agrimensor post=324237 Wrote:Maybe they can help (in Germany) http://www.battlemerchant.com/Kettenzeug...:2141.html
but they deliver worldwide.
Most of the ulfberth mail is no better than the imported mail from India. If that is all you want then you may as well find a cheaper supplier in your own country. From what I've heard some of the more expensive ulfberth products are starting to look ok.

Thank you for the Battlemerchant site Agrimensor! I had come across very late one night and completely forgotten about it. Besides, I had the German version....and I don't speak German. So that looks to be pretty much what I am looking for albeit in 6mm size. Pretty small but still better than anything else I have found.

I guess, in the grand scheme of things, I can't say what authentic hamata looks like. I wholeheartedly agree that a wide range of ring sizes have been found and was using 8mm as a generic size for this thread.

As for use and quality......... I guess I would like it to be functional from a genuine standpoint though I have no intention of actually using it. I do train HEMA and imagine I'd probably mess with it during sparring as an experiment, but that is about it. Mainly looking to construct a genuine historical piece, as much as my skill and available resources allow.

In thinking about it, to me, if I have a 4 in 1 with riveted and solid flat rings in any appropriate size, I'd be happy. Not too concerned with the type of rivet.

What is the quality concern over the site above and/or Indian supplies? Is the metal inferior or not representative of true hamata? Are the ring shapes not consistent with the historical record? Sorry for the questions, still picking up on this somewhat.

ETA: [strike]out of curiosity, anybody have a guesstimate on how many 6mm rings make up 1kg? I'll see what I can pick out from other sites listing weight and ring count.[/strike] Ah, nevermind. Afraid it would be cheaper to purchase one already constructed. Would be, guesstimate of $700 for enough to make a 25-30lb set of hamata. Actually, $700 would be on the low end.

Messages In This Thread
1st Post and Hamata Supplies Question - by Mark Chronister - 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
1st Post and Hamata Supplies Question - by Doc - 11-18-2012, 12:24 AM