Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artillery Test on Harzhorn Battlefield (235 AD)
Quote: Another pointless effort from the experimental archeology perspective..

I'm not sure I would say it was entirely pointless as perhaps there is a confusion of understanding between the physical weight of the piece and draw weight which you refer to. I am sure there will be many positive findings as there will be comparisons between the different types of artillery tested in the same conditions at the very least.

Quote: Dr. Schalles admitted that they have not pulled the torsion springs at the full power because of fear of breaking the expensive sinew ropes.

Would the preservation of the rope not be a realistic concern for the original users of these artillery pieces? How long does it take to replace the rope when it does snap? Is it realistic for the Romans to have carried spares? :???:

Also, as sinew can stretch of itself, would the draw weight not change the more use the rope had? By that I mean more tension required to "take up the slack" as the ropes stretched under use.

This is what I find quite frustrating about these experiments - they always leave you wanting to know more!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Artillery Test on Harzhorn Battlefield (235 AD) - by Vindex - 11-24-2012, 02:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torsion Artillery Compared to Tension Artillery Eleatic Guest 6 4,520 05-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Spearhead Finds at the Harzhorn Spurius Rutabaga 5 2,200 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Spurius Rutabaga