Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword
Thank you for your kind words. The craftsman is the owner of the site replik-online.de. You can see examples of his work here: http://www.replik-online.de/de/index2.html
Evidence for tinned / untinned is given in part where the remains of the metal could be analyzed. The original is in a pretty good shape but rusty. I post a picture tomorrow.
The front of the scabbard consists in fact of three metal plates. A large one with the central relief and the leave garlands covers the hole length. The relief-plate on top with the captivated Gaul is wound around the scabbard and fixed on the back. The relief-plate at the bottom lies on top of the large plate and is fixed with the bronze metal strap above and the side branches that hold the entire scabbard in place. The back is red leather. The color was my wish.
The guard plates is from a find in the Roman camp in Dangstetten, Germany.
I post some pictures of the blade tomorrow.

Good night, Michael
Michael Köhler, Historian

Messages In This Thread
Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword - by Amicus LEG XI CPF - 12-16-2012, 03:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum brennivs - tony drake 24 4,615 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,772 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,888 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park