Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum handle
Ave Aug33,<br>
<br>
It takes a fair amount of wrist strength to hold something even as 'light' as a 3-ply Scutum out at 90-degrees for more than the split second of a punch- and it's actually because a punch is so fast that I'm not too worried about the perfectness of its balance. I find that I'm at full-extension before there's any perceptable tilt and that it seems to be the forward momentum of the Scutum keeps it straight anyway. I figure a slight tendency to tilt toward the user is a desirable characteristic because it keeps one protected from overhand swings throughout and because you'd be carrying it 99.999% of the time and a slight tilt toward your arm is good.<br>
<br>
Now one of the contributing factors to my Scutum tilting toward me if I hold it straight out and don't balance it on my wrist is the fact that I have a piece of leather- suede-side out- wrapped around the handle. This makes it much more difficult to grip sufficiently to stop any movement (if I wanted to that is). Perhaps this is contributing to your tilt as well? Is your handle bare wood? If so, maybe a thin leather wrap (not suede-side out), will help.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Scutum handle - by Anonymous - 02-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Re: Scutum handle - by Matt Lukes - 02-27-2005, 03:24 AM
Re: Scutum handle - by Anonymous - 02-27-2005, 05:17 AM
Re: Scutum handle - by Anonymous - 02-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Re: Scutum handle - by Matt Lukes - 02-28-2005, 04:38 AM