Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote:The lost column of Arcadius depicted a few helmets with masks and crests.
Yes, but also with some other 'fanciful' weapons such as double-headed axes, 'Phrygiasn caps' (the defeated enemy is supposed to be a Gothic army in Roman service) as well as 'Thracian' shields, neither which you would expect to see in a Late Roman inventory. It's clear that the enemy is supposed to be 'Eastern'. And while I count 5 'facemask' helmets, some of them complete with a neck (??), there is no 'common' ridge helemt shown. Which is odd, because other details seem quite correct (some shields, cloaks) for the early 5th century.
Apart from the obvious problem that this is a very late copy of a now lost original (which will keep us guessing forever), I think that many 'classical' pieces of arms & armour made it to this monument, some doubtless taken from older monumnets and some even purely symbolic, which leaves me at leasy in doubt about the credibility of the 'facemask' helmets shown, and still unprepaired to accept this as proof for their existence in the Late Roman inventory. Just my opinion.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Robert Vermaat - 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 902 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,640 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,413 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous