Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations
Our group started experimenting with gladiatura a few months ago. We started with hard weapons (Cold Steel gladius trainers, wood gladius wasters, hard shields, etc.); there were some bruises, but nothing horrible. Then we had a fellow visit who also does Dagorhir, a foam-weapon-based LARP. Well, we had so much fun with the foam weapons (which allowed us to fight at a more realistic speed) that I made a bunch for us: gladii, a sica, and spear/trident. They are wood core, surrounded by dense blue "camping mat" foam, wrapped in layers of duct tape. They make a satisfying "WHACK!" when you land a hit. Wink The tips have a couple of inches of foam, so you can stab with them, too. You can see some of them in the pics I link below. We stuck with wooden shields (which we made) for the extra weight and realism and just limited how the shields could be used offensively. We also have some armor and are making padding.

I started thinking about rules for us and wrote up the following.

EQUIPMENT

1. Foam weapons only.
2. Protective gear must be worn. This includes eye protection, head protection (foam or metal), something on the weapon hand(s) (e.g. padded glove, thick wraps), shin guards, and shoes. Additional padding (e.g. manicae, padded leggings) is optional but suggested.
3. Shields must be wooden, plastic, or metal, with taped edges and corners (at least 2 layers of duct tape, preferably more). No foam shields.
4. All equipment should be inspected before each use. Repair any tears or other damage immediately before use. Equipment that is deemed unsafe will not be used.

TACTICS AND RULES

1. No strikes are allowed to the head, neck, or groin.
2. No sword pommel, spear shaft or spear butt strikes are allowed.
3. No shield edge strikes are allowed. Pushing (but not striking) with the flat of the shield is allowed.
4. Kicks and punches are allowed. (we've actually not practiced this yet, so these are still not really allowed)
5. Participants must remain standing. If any part of the body above the waist touches the ground, the bout is paused until the fighter stands up. No grappling, tackling, or other ground-based fighting is allowed.
6. We're doing this for training and for fun, not for injury or warfare. Unless both fighters have years of training (and none of us do yet!), please don't attack someone with full force and speed. Half-speed is probably a good goal, or even slower. Slower and more accurate is better.

That's it so far. I'd love to see some sort of graded ruleset for gladiators to use. Maybe levels? 1- Foam equipment, etc., like I noted above; 2- wooden weapons, thrown range weapons; 3- dull steel, full speed, etc.

Ideas? Gratias!
Pics from 20 July
--
Gnaeus Caelius Ahenobarbus (Darin Arrick)
Gladiator (Thraex, Hoplomachus)
Seattle, WA, US

Messages In This Thread
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by jbd_29349 - 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by jkaler48 - 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Olaf - 06-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by jbd_29349 - 07-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Olaf - 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by jbd_29349 - 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Jvrjenivs - 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Olaf - 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Olaf - 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Olaf - 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Modern Ludus Rules and Regulations - by Gnaeus Caelius Ahenobarbus - 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM