Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army
Quote:Well, only looking in your timeline, what happened in year 406 is something more than an evidence .... what the germanic invaders found or better did not find in Spain,it is something more than an evidence, in my opinion.
Look, reading the Notitia, In Spain there should have been 11 Auxilia Palatina and 5 legiones comitatenses under a Comes Hispaniarum, even half of this force probably would have been able to stop any invasion, so probably this force actually existed but sadly, ...... only on the paper.

Two things -
One, IF as you say troops had only exitsted on paper, Gaul would have been overrun by 400 or shortly after.
It wasn't.

Two, according to the ND, in 394 there would indeed have been 16 units. You say they were paper forces because they could not stop the invaders. I say, you forget the little fact that the area had been the scene of a civil war - it's in my timeline! Constantine III probably either disbanded these units (if they were pro-Honorius), or used them for the army he needed to invade Italy. Or Honorius pulled them out before that, fearing that scenario. Probably both.
That's more than nough reason to see them gone afterwards, leaving hardly any troops available to do anything else but defend Tarragonensis.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army - by Robert Vermaat - 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 298 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 282 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 18,218 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241