Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hoplite phalanx just before battle
Quote:I find Hanson a dubious source of information. He presents a very stylized and idealized picture of what he thinks hoplite warfare was like, informed by a great deal of modern political ideology. I noted some of my objections to The Western Way of War on the Ancient Warfare blog.

Be sure to also read treatments of the topic by Hans van Wees and Peter Krentz. I disagree heavily with the "Hanson-style phalanx", for reasons that will also be apparent when you read my Henchmen of Ares (apologies for the plug). Essentially, I don't think Hanson is anywhere near correct. I made a remark in passing in one of my more recent blog posts, too, on ambushes (which Hanson would have you believe are cowardly and thus never used by his idealized Greeks, which is patently rubbish).

Looking forward to reading your book, Josho and I also strongly recommend that anyone with an interest in hoplite/phalanx warfare read Peter Krentz and Hans van Wees, especially van Wees' Greek Warfare, Myths and Realities. Not sure that I would go as far as to say that these gentlemen should be considered the final word on the subject, but I do think they have much to add to the overly simplified orthodox views of Hanson & Co.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Messages In This Thread
The hoplite phalanx just before battle - by Josho Brouwers - 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM
The hoplite phalanx just before battle - by Dithyrambus - 12-04-2013, 01:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,929 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite