Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt
Quote:Either way, if there's a connection between clibanus and clibanarii, it's presumably a colloquial reference to the inside of the 'pot' getting very hot, rather than the appearance of it or what it's made of! No need to assume anything about the type of armour being used; the weight and the heat generated by it is surely the important bit.

However, it's still possible that this is a false etymology, or that both words derive from the same root (something to do with covering or being covered?*) but are otherwise unrelated.

EDIT - * actually, doesn't the word cataphract mean something like 'covered'? If a clibanus was a dish that covered something to cook it, perhaps we're missing a more obvious connection between the words?
The first paragraph is the point that I object to. It is a modern notion that has no authority in ancient writing. That it is a false etymology, as suggested in the second has, I think, much to recommend it. However, I like the idea in the 'edit'. Catafractus and its derivatives (and, of course, its Greek origin) imply something covered up; clibanus and its derivatives could imply the same but in a different (more solid?) form.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - by Renatus - 02-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intact Roman vexillum from Egypt DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 36 10,348 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs
  Roman Shield from Didymoi fort ( Egypt) - III AD lucius Gellius cuniculus 7 2,861 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman army in Egypt germanslinger37 6 2,630 02-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Last Post: germanslinger37